Wednesday, June 15, 2011

I Like Me

Great news, Marlo Thomas:  I like myself.  Thanks to your literary classic Free to be You and Me (and the daily rigor of the RecHap blog) I can report that I am feeling uncommonly satisfied with my life.  You told me I could be anything I wanted to be -- doctor, firefighter, caterpillar -- and I chose this.  There were other influences than you, of course.  Carol Brady seems to have had a big say in the life choices I have made.  Also Edith Bunker and Chrissy from Three's Company.  But it was your sage advice that let me know it was all right to cry, helped me avoid being eaten by lions, and reminded me that parents are people too.  This is helpful because now I am a parent, I spend a little too much time crying, and really it's just handy to not get eaten by a lion.

I find myself especially happy that I am me instead of lots of other people.  My life may not be perfect, but it sucks a lot less than many other people's lives.

For instance, I am thankful that I am not Lindsay Lohan.  Or that guy named Weiner who tweeted pictures of his weiner.  I am thankful I am not one of the unfortunate souls who have disfiguring diseases so ghastly they are used as illustrations on the elephantiasis entry of Wikipedia.  Look it up.  You'll be thankful too.

Furthermore, I am thankful I am not the person who lives here:


110613f.jpg

I appreciate about myself that I am not married to this man:

redneck_toilet.jpg

And I feel good that my children have never done this:

naughty-mischievous-baby-boys-23.jpg

That's all for today.  Today I recognize that life could be worse.  Very easily, I could be worse.  And for today that is enough.



No comments:

Post a Comment